Wednesday, March 9, 2011

1000 and Counting

Today, I completed my 1000 walk through observation of the 2011-11 school year. I  utilize the Instructional Practices Index (IPI) system to record and quantify instructional behaviors. At our Building Leadership Team (BLT) meetings, the LCPS elementary faculty and I review the walkthrough data and try to determine if we are making progress toward becoming the type of learning community that aspire to.

The best part of my daily visits to classrooms are the hugs, high-fives, fist bumps, and "look-at-this" moments spent with students. Each day I come back from walkthroughs refreshed, re-invigorated and refocused on what is important- students.

I really believe that our system of walkthrough observations has made me a better informed principal, and a more student- centered leader. It has been truly impressive to see how hard out teachers work to bring out the best in every student.

If you are around the LCPS elementary buildings, stop in. You will see some great teaching, some authentic learning, and may even snag a little candy bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment